This is one of my absolute favourite recipes and things to make. They are simple, so nutritious , bursting with antioxidants, amino acids, high in fibre... so really what more do I need to say?! They are also delicious and only take around 10 minutes to make.
All you need is the following:
• Food Processor / Blender ( preferably high powered )
20–25 Dates (20x Medjoolor, 25x Deglet Noir)
1 Cup of raw almonds
3⁄4 Cup of raw cocoa powder
2 small tablespoons of plant based protein powder ( I’ve used hemp)
2 Tablespoons of sprouted ( if possible but not essential ) flaxseed
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1⁄2 cup of desiccated coconut for rolling (optional)
Makes approximately 10 balls depending on the size you roll them
Instructions to make:
- Place half the almonds in the food processor and pulse or blend until flour like consistency
- Add half the dates and blend for 30 seconds and then add the remaining dates and blend for further 30 seconds to 1 minute until Ingredients are mixed
- Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and blend until completely mixed together
- Use a spoon or an ice cream scoop to remove the mixture and roll by hand in to small balls
- Roll the balls in the dedicated coconut until they are fully covered and then place in separate bowl or container.
- Continue rolling balls and all the mixture has been used.
- Place the energy balls in the fridge for approximately one hour to set and then remove and leave in sealed container in your kitchen.
- You can use any plant based protein powder but be careful with flavoured products as they might have a strong taste.
- If you have a sweet tooth you can add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup to sweeten and It tastes really good
- Don’t let the mixture get too hot in the food processor as it will burn your hands when you roll the balls. If it does get hot just leave it to cool before rolling
- If the mixture seems too dry and doesn’t stick together very well when your trying to roll, just add a tablespoon of melted coconut oil to the mixture and re blend.
And that’s it! Easy Peasy!... You can take these with you when your out and about and they will stop you from feeling hungry and keep you energised all day. They are amazing if you have a sweet tooth and need that sweet fix as well.
I hope you enjoy them and I would love to hear how you got on with these so please send me your comments. Please also share with friends and family if you liked them. Oh and kids love them too, my little girl loves making them as much as she loves eating them family fun.